10 plants you should not keep at home

Dieffenbachia (Dumb Cane):  This leafy houseplant is popular for its air-purifying properties. However, all parts of the dieffenbachia are toxic and can cause swelling, irritation, and even temporary speech loss if ingested. 

Philodendron: Similar to dieffenbachia, philodendrons contain calcium oxalate crystals that can cause mouth and stomach irritation, vomiting, and even breathing problems if ingested. 

Monstera Deliciosa (Swiss Cheese Plant):  This trendy houseplant with large, split leaves is also toxic. Chewing or ingesting any part of the monstera can cause irritation, swelling, and digestive discomfort. 

Epipremnum Aureum (Pothos):  This easy-to-care-for vine is another common houseplant with attractive foliage.  Unfortunately, like many on this list, pothos is toxic and can cause irritation and swelling of the mouth, tongue, and throat if ingested. 

English Ivy: This fast-growing climber can add a touch of elegance to your home. However,  English ivy can irritate the skin and cause problems if ingested.

Calla Lily: While the calla lily's beautiful blooms are popular in bouquets, all parts of the plant are toxic and can cause nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea if ingested. 

Azalea:  Azaleas come in a variety of colors and add a pop of color to any room.  However, these beautiful flowers are toxic and can cause serious health problems, including vomiting, diarrhea, and low blood pressure, if ingested.

Oleander:  This popular flowering shrub is known for its clusters of pink or white blooms.  However, oleander is extremely toxic and can be fatal if ingested.

Castor Bean:  The castor bean plant has unique foliage and red-hued spikes. However, the castor bean is highly toxic and contains ricin, a deadly poison. 

Ricinus Communis (Castor Oil Plant): Similar to the castor bean plant, Ricinus Communis is also toxic and contains ricin. Even small ingestions can be fatal.